The first documented mention of Brixlegg copper and silver refinery dates back to 1463. The Bavarian Duke Ludwig the Rich laid the foundation stone of the factory in the small village of Brixlegg, which was then still part of Bavaria. The economic development of the refinery was closely tied to the ore mining in Tyrol right up into the 20th century. With the increasing use of electricity, and the introduction of industrial electrolytic refining, very pure copper was being produced as early as 1885.
Following the sharp decline in ore extraction in Tyrol, the continued existence of the refinery was assured at the beginning of the 20th century by converting production to the recovery of copper from high grade scrap metal alloys. Brixlegg's copper products were used throughout Austria: the roofs of the parliament building, the law courts and Schönbrunn castle in Vienna were all constructed from Brixlegg copper sheets. Coin metals from Brixlegg were delivered to the Mint in Hall and to the Mint headquarters in Vienna, Milan and Venice.
Montanwerke Brixlegg AG is proud of its 550 year history and is aware of the responsibility that this tradition represents for the future.
To find out more about the development of mining in Tyrol, please visit the website of the Tyrolean museum of mining and metallurgy.